What is Alexa Rank?
Alexa rank is a measure of website popularity. It ranks millions of websites in order of popularity. A website with an Alexa Rank of 1 being the most popular. Alexa Rank reveals how a website is doing relative to all other sites, which makes it a great KPI for benchmarking and competitive analysis. Alexa rank is calculated using a proprietary methodology that combines a site’s estimated traffic and visitor engagement over the past three months. Traffic and engagement are estimated from the browsing behavior of people in our global panel, which is a sample of all Internet users.
The Alexa analytics platform audits the frequency of visits on websites and makes the results public. Alexa traffic rankings use a simple algorithm to record the amount of user traffic for those who have installed the Alexa toolbar. According to its website, Alexa has stored data on online browsing behavior for 300+ million Internet pages.
Parameters such as page views and reach are taken into account when calculating the traffic. Reach refers to the number of users who visit a
certain website in one day. As the name suggests, a page view is the number of times users view a certain page. Keep in mind that one user visiting the same website multiple times in one day will be counted only once.
How it Works
Alexa uses the data provided by its toolbar users for ranking their respective websites vis a vis other websites. To get started, you simply need to download and install the Alexa toolbar. It’ll then display the Alexa Rank of the visited website. In addition, the toolbar will also send traffic data to a central server. Your IP address and the URL you’re visiting are recorded.
A greater sample source naturally gives more accurate data. However, accuracy may be dubious if you’re among the lower-ranking sites. Those among the top 100,000 ranking sites in the Alexa system can rest assured that they’re drawing in good traffic. Websites with a high Alexa rank will have more visitors and higher sales conversions.
How to Improve Your Alexa Rank
As briefly mentioned earlier, you can improve your website’s Alexa rank using several ethical practices without manipulating the tool. Below I’ve highlighted some useful tips:
- Add meta tags to your site on the Alexa tool so that it can be verified as a property othe Alexa account.
- Add the Alexa widget to your website or blog to get more regular visitors and receive more accurate results.
- Update your site regularly with fresh, original content that’s useful for your target audience and well-written. Whether you’re a blogger or a web developer, it’s always important to improve user engagement by giving your audience something they’ll find helpful.
- Try to get visitors and friends to review your site on Alexa. Encourage them to leave nice comments that’ll surely nudge your rankings a bit higher.
- Promote your articles on popular social networking sites that are frequented by your target audience.
- Most bloggers have the Alexa toolbar installed, so try focusing on getting more traffic from your specialized niche.
- You can also leverage the tactic of subdividing your post into multiple pages, which is commonly done by Forbes and Search Engine Journal, to increase page views.
- Another tactic to improve page views is to move any download buttons to the next page.
Leverage the tricks mentioned above to naturally boost your Alexa rank and increase your website’s popularity.